7.18.2007

Territories.

I think all of us are territorial at a certain degree. For some it's a place such as their room, where they start to freak out if people go through their stuff. For others it's a gang, where the actual lines and borders of their home consist of wars over rights.

About less than a month ago, my neighbor decided to bring her dog over to see if her dog got along with ours. They were going to go out on vacation, and they wanted us to look after it.
I think I really felt like a mother then. I was wondering how my dog, my baby, would act around this new dog. I wonder if it's how mothers feel when their child meets new kids. I was so angry when our neighbor just put down her dog in our backyard and let it run all over my dog's territory. For some reason, I felt like if my dog couldn't really do anything about it, I should help him out. It's his backyard, and this other dog was starting to pee everywhere! In a way, I think I was freaking out more than my dog was. But I could tell he didn't like the new dog. My dog would raise his fur and try and keep the back porch to himself. So that day, I stood there, almost trying to make sure that my dog would reign superior on whatever he wanted. I guess that was unfair, but at the moment, I felt my dog being endangered, and being a territorial person that I am, I wanted to keep him safe and comfortable, no matter how extreme I must have seemed that day.

Topic!: Territorial? I wouldn't blame someone for being that. They're probably protecting something they care about.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

true. to me, being territorial means protective, and my dog is one. whoever passed in front of our house, he'll bark like mad. as for us humans, it's in our nature to be territorial sometimes, be it for safety reasons or just to let people know that some things are kept private to ourselves and that that's the limit. does it make sense? hmm.

Efsie said...

Hm. You do kind of sound like a mother ;) Though "So that day, I stood there, almost trying to make sure that my dog would reign superior on whatever he wanted" sounds a lot like something that I used to do for someone, lol.

And yeah, everyone is territorial, to some extent. Except maybe monks, but even they are subconsciously territorial, they just dont show it 'cause theyre cool.

Anonymous said...

being territorial is ok, i guess, until you start peeing on everything....then it seems a bit obsessive. i'm not just talking about dogs, but people too. not that they literally pee on things, but some people can mark everything as their own and it's like, dude...you can't just pee on it and claim it as your own and be all protective about it. there should be harmony between the pee-er and the peed. the act of peeing should be balanced by the acceptance of pee. otherwise, you ruin the ying yang of nature and result in war. similarly, you can break the harmony when you pee on something that's already been peed on. that's like asking for trouble. that's why a lot of times you get friends that try to pee on you and your parents get "pissed off" because they think your friends are trying to pee on what they've already peed on. see...it's an art that we must all learn to master in order to live in peace in a world of pees. -yo sista, the peeologist xD